In September 2016 I wrote up a guide for friends and family asking me how to buy bitcoins: https://howtobuybitcoin.io/ especially with a credit card, or PayPal, bank transfer, and cash (since this was what most people use). I got some good feedback, notably from the community here on reddit and bitcointalk. People also gave some good advice for future modifications. Here is what I've now added & updated:
- added emphasis that you can also work for bitcoins (instead of buying them) on places like xbtfreelancer or subs like Jobs4Bitcoins
- placed special attention on informing new users how to spot indicators showing that a bitcoin exchange is following security best practices
- similar tips are included for spotting out an exchange that might be showing signs of compromise (past/potential) – my lessons learned from MtGox and Bitfinex
- repeated warning that users should never store their coins on exchanges
- with so many sites & services going full-KYC and account flagging/freezing happening more often, I have included a section explaining this for beginners.
- extra tips for methods/services/places to buy bitcoin with no id verification
- reminding newcomers that exchanges who do not interact, assist, and give back to the community are ultimately not worth using.
I would appreciate your thoughts on the improvements and updates. Is there anything I should add or take out?
From a beginner's perspective searching how to buy bitcoin, what do I need to explain further?